Are you perfect? We like to think we are, but we know in reality we are not. If you mess up, fess up, apologize quickly, make it right, and then forgive yourself. Your brain will be free to happily focus on something else! That’s a mighty tall order, and sometimes it is difficult to do. I guarantee you will feel so much better when you do, and more importantly, you can release that situation and any guilt that goes along with it. Remember, negative thoughts can make us unwell!
Here are a few tips to clean up your mess:
- We ALL mess up and make mistakes. Some are trivial, and some are doozies! Regardless of how serious it is, finding the courage to go to a person (preferably in person), admitting a wrongdoing and asking for forgiveness is not pleasant at all. We humans tend to avoid unpleasantness by perhaps lying your way out of it and then having to live that lie. When our actions do not align with our thoughts, chaos ensues.
- Doing the right thing, even when it’s unpleasant and uncomfortable is called integrity! It creates respect and helps to develop your moral code.
- When we take ownership of the things we do, positive or negative, we are demonstrating maturity and strength. These traits will carry you through many trials and tribulations going forward. It is much less stressful to do the right thing, than to cover up the wrong. Politicians should take that advice!
- As parents, we sometimes don’t want to admit our wrongdoings to our kids because they look up to us. Guess what, when we are honest about our mistakes, and ask THEM for forgiveness, they do, because they look up to us! It also teaches them that they will still be loved and forgiven if they come forward to us and admit their mistakes.
- Forgive yourself! The late Maya Angelou had this amazing little quote which allows us a pass and releases guilt: “Do the best you can until you know better, and when you know better, you do better.” – Self-forgiveness and self-love!
Sometimes we cannot “fix” a wrongdoing with another person despite all our efforts. If you have done everything you can to remedy the problem with success, it’s time to release it and move on. It’s time to be at peace with yourself and put your energy into more positive activities.